Dust mites, mould and humidity

DustmiteMould, mildew and dampness all play a large part in the breeding habits’ of dust mites.

Dust mites are normal tenants in our homes, and generally cause no harm.  They eat, among other things, the dried, discarded skin we all shed, plus hair and dander from us and our pets.

When mould is present, during high humidity and dampness, it will attach itself onto this dead skin, dander and hair and effectively soften it enough so that dust mites can eat it.

 

Mould is the dust mite’s best friend!

In these ideal conditions of high humidity, dampness and mould growth, dust mites will begin to breed exponentially and continue to shed their skins and shells.

It is these discarded shells and skins that cause us trouble.  Being very light, they float in the air and are easily breathed into your lungs.

AsthmaIt’s believed it is the high protein in their skins and faeces that irate us, maybe even in some cases, causing asthma.

However, when the humidity in your home is reduced to more acceptable levels, between 55-65%, mould will find conditions are much harder to begin growing in.

Without mould being present to attach itself to dead skin, dander, hair, etc., this food source is like concrete, and too hard for dust mites to eat and digest.

This is the reason your home should be as free from mould, mildew and dampness as possible.

 

Moisture Cure (R) home page